Shiatsu is a form of massage that originated in Asia over two thousand years ago. The word “shiatsu” comes from two Japanese words—”shi” meaning finger and “atsu” meaning pressure.
This type of massage was originally developed as a part of Traditional Chinese Medicine. It was brought to Japan in the early 1900s by a doctor named Tokujiro Namikoshi. Shiatsu became popular in Western culture in the 1970s.
How is Japanese massage or Shiatsu performed?
Shiatsu is typically performed on a mat on the floor or on a massage table. The client remains fully clothed during the session.
The therapist will use their palms, thumbs, elbows, knees, and feet to apply pressure to different parts of the client’s body. This pressure can be light or deep, depending on the needs of the client. The therapist may also stretch or rock the client’s body during the session.
What are the health benefits of Japanese massage?
There are many health benefits associated with Shiatsu massage. It can:
- Improve circulation
- Increase flexibility
- Reduce stress
- Boost energy levels
- Alleviate pain
- Relieve headaches
- Help with digestive issues.
- Menstrual cramps are lessened or eliminated.
Shiatsu massage is safe for most people, but it is not recommended for pregnant women or those who are pregnant.
The 3 best Japanese massagers for at home or office use
These days, there are many excellent shiatsu massagers that can be purchased for home use, ranging in all price ranges. We picked three top-rated machines that give a quality therapeutic massage in the comfort of your own home for the maximum value.
1. Shiatsu Back Neck and Shoulder Massager with Adjustable Heat and Speed
What we love about this shiatsu neck and shoulder massager:
- Genuine shiatsu massage
- 8 deep kneading rotation nodes
- Deep tissue massage
- Comfortable and soothing heat function
- Simple to operate
- Variable speeds
- Great value
- Makes a perfect gift for just about anyone!
- Highly rated on Amazon
2. Snailax Shiatsu Massage Cushion with Heat Massage Chair
Why we love this shiatsu office chair massager:
- 4 deep kneading massage nodes that travel up and down the entire back
- Intensity control
- Flexible massage nodes
- Vibration seat massager
- Soothing heat
- Use on a sofa, chair, recliner or office chair
- You will be a hero if you give this as a gift for any occasion!
3. H&B Luxuries Shiatsu Kneading Rolling Foot and Leg Massager
Why we love this shiatsu foot and leg massager:
- Relieves foot and leg pain from plantar fasciitis, neuropathy, and sore muscles
- Ergonomic design targets the areas that need attention
- 7 optional modes
- 2 different massage directions
- Comes with a remote
- Highly rated on Amazon
If you are looking for a new way to promote healing in your body, then consider trying shiatsu massage. This type of massage has a long history and offers many health benefits.
If you have any medical conditions or are pregnant, be sure to talk to your doctor before scheduling a session. You don’t have to leave the house to have an effective, pain relieving and soothing session at home!
We wish you well on your continuing journey to optimum health.
The links used on thewellthieone.com are affiliate links, which may provide a small commission. This does not increase the price of the goods for the consumer whatsoever. What it does is ensure that useful content like this can continue to be produced. Thank-you for enjoying our content and allowing us to continue to provide more.