I am a matcha tea lover and have been for some time now. I remember the first time I had matcha. It was at a coffee house and it was made by an expert using ancient tools specifically designed for matcha. The matcha whisk, called a chasen in Japanese, created a perfect froth. The essential matcha bowl, called a chawan in Japanese, held the traditionally correct amount of tea.
I was hooked from that first matcha bowl and have been enjoying matcha ever since. Every time I drink matcha, I am reminded of that first one and how delicious it was. I am happy to know that there are still experts out there who know how to make matcha the right way.
You can make authentic Japanese matcha at home
We don’t always feel like going out to seek a professional to make that perfect matcha bowl. These days, you can feel confident that the perfect matcha can be made at home with the right tools. While it is a treat to have someone prepare your matcha like the ancient Japanese did with their specific tools, the higher than average labor effort is reflected in the price, and this could be an expensive daily habit.
The solution is to seek out a great matcha kit, one that has all of the authentic tools that you need to reproduce tea house professional quality and appeal at home. With all of the kits out there, which one is the best quality while also providing the best value?
We have done all of the research to find the best matcha kit so you don’t have to.
We found the 3 best matcha kits on Amazon. These kits will provide you with all you need for success in expert and authentic Japanese-style matcha making. Everything you need all in one place to turn your kitchen into a Matcha Tea House.
1. Marce Matcha Set- Matcha Whisk and Bowl- Matcha Tea Set
What we love about the 5 Piece Marce Matcha Set
- While our quick and easy culture will tell you that a metal whisk is good for matcha, make no mistake. A metal whisk will leave a bitter taste. Use a traditional bamboo whisk like the one this set includes to see for yourself.
- The 5-piece set includes: a matcha whisk, whisk holder, bowl, sifter, and matcha scoop.
- Whisk is constructed of all natural bamboo.
- Handmade whisk and scoop
- Satisfaction guaranteed. Amazon has received over 400 ratings and 4.5 stars.
What is Matcha?
Matcha comes from green, unoxidized tea leaves that are ground into a fine powder. A special matcha whisk made from bamboo is used to mix the powdered tea with hot water to form a frothy result. The culturally specific presentation of matcha is one of the defining staples of Japanese culture. It is common to have matcha served alongside something sweet to balance out any bitterness of the tea, though many high quality matcha teas have very little bitterness at all.
How do you prepare matcha?
- Bring the water to just under a boil.
- 2 oz of hot water should be added to the matcha bowl.
- Add your preferred amount of green matcha powder.
- Using a bamboo whisk to avoid bitterness that can be caused by a metal whisk, whisk the water and matcha powder vigorously in a zig-zag pattern to produce a foamy top.
- Enjoy your tea directly from the matcha bowl.
2. BambooWorx Matcha Whisk Set
What we love about Bambooworx Matcha kit
- 100% authentic Japanese bamboo kit
- Less cost because there is no bowl included
- Instructions on how to make the best authentic matcha and how to care for the set included
- 100% natural bamboo.
- No varnishes or unnatural finishes
- Durability enhanced with a natural oil finish
- Highly rated on Amazon with over 8800 ratings and 4.5 stars
What is a matcha bowl?
The Japanese refer to the bowl that matcha is prepared in as the chawan. This is a ceramic bowl that the matcha is added to with hot water and whisked with a chesan, a bamboo Japanese matcha whisk. Originally, the Japanese learned about the chawan from the Chinese, and have been using it for their matcha preparation since the thirteenth century.
Is a matcha whisk necessary?
Yes, if you want to make traditionally correct matcha at home, the bamboo matcha whisk is essential. Do not be tempted to buy a metal whisk for an authentic matca, as it can give your tea a bitterness that will not reflect true Japanese tradition. The bamboo chasen,
A traditional Japanese matcha whisk, called a chasen, is absolutely essential in preparing your matcha at home. Crafted from a single piece of bamboo, a chasen has dozens of springy tines specifically designed to whisk matcha into suspension.
What whisk is best for matcha?
The best type of whisk for matcha is one made of bamboo that has between 70 and 80 times. The times must be curved or curled at the ends, which creates the best froth.
Can I use a normal whisk for matcha?
Yes you can, but if it is a metal whisk, there is a chance that your matcha could taste more bitter than it should, as the metal interferes with the matcha and changes the flavor slightly. If you are not overly concerned about Japanese authenticity, a small whisk of any kind will work.
3. Jade Leaf Traditional Matcha Starter Set
What we love about the Jade Leaf Traditional Matcha Starter Set:
- Natural bamboo whisk and scoop
- Handmade bamboo pieces
- Super handy step by step preparation guide to the perfect bowl of matcha
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Highly rated by Amazon with over 4000 ratings and 4.5 stars’
We hope this information was useful and that it helps to elevate your next bowl of matcha to new heights.
The links used on thewellthieone.com are affiliate links, which may provide a small commission. This does not increase the price of the goods for the consumer whatsoever. What it does is ensure that useful content like this can continue to be produced. Thank-you for enjoying our content and allowing us to continue to provide more.