Move over, kale smoothies, the latest superfood craze is taking the internet by storm. Blue spirulina is a type of blue-green algae packed with vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial compounds that can help boost your health in many ways.
It has a vivid blue color that stands out from other traditional superfoods and it’s fun to make creative recipes with it.
What is the history of blue spirulina?
Blue spirulina has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine and Indian Ayurvedic medicine for its purported health benefits.
5 Tenants of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Indian Ayurvedic Medicine
- Balance: Both traditional Chinese medicine and Indian Ayurvedic medicine emphasize the importance of maintaining balance between the body’s physical, mental and spiritual elements.
- Focus on Prevention & Wellness: Traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicines focus on preventing illnesses rather than treating symptoms.
This includes eating healthy, exercising regularly, avoiding external toxins and maintaining a positive attitude.
- Qi & Prana: Both these healing modalities believe in the flow of energy or qi (in Chinese medicine) and prana (in Ayurveda).
It is believed that when this life-force energy is disrupted it results in various diseases.
- Herbs & Natural Substances
Herbal remedies are an essential part of both traditional Chinese medicine and Indian Ayurvedic medicine for treating various ailments.
These herbal remedies contain natural ingredients like roots, tree bark and curative teas that can help with specific health issues.
- Positive Mindset: Health is not just about physical wellness but also mental wellbeing according to both these healing practices.
A healthy lifestyle involves cultivating a positive mindset which includes daily meditation, yoga practice, prayer etc.
Through Chinese and Ayurveda healing, blue spirulina has a long history of treating various ailments.
There’s no denying that blue spirulina packs some serious nutritional punch!
What does blue spirulina taste like?
While the taste of blue spirulina can vary depending on how it is prepared, it is generally earthy and slightly sweet. Some people also describe it as tasting like seaweed.
Blue spirulina can also have a slightly salty, seaweed-like taste. It is usually added to smoothies, juices or bowls to enhance the flavor and nutritional benefits of the product. Some people like the taste, others find it slightly off-putting.
Is blue spirulina good for you?
7 ways that blue spirulina will take your health to the next level
So, what are the actual health benefits of blue spirulina? Blue spirulina is a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals.
It gets its color from phycocyanin, which is a pigment that is also found in green spirulina. This pigment is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
This blue-green algae is said to have a host of health benefits, from boosting energy levels to supporting gut health.
- Boosts Energy Levels: Blue spirulina contains high levels of chlorophyll, which is known for its ability to increase energy levels and improve stamina.
It binds to toxins in the body and helps to remove them, resulting in increased vitality and refreshed feeling.
- Aids Digestion: Blue spirulina is also said to be effective in aiding digestion. The blue pigment helps to break down fats and neutralize acids in the stomach, leading to improved digestion and regular bowel movements.
- Supports Gut Health: The high levels of chlorophyll in blue spirulina also make it beneficial for gut health.
Chlorophyll has antibacterial properties, which can help to fight off bad bacteria and yeast in the gut, keeping your digestive system healthy.
- Detoxifies the Body
Blue spirulina can also help to detoxify your body by binding to heavy metals and toxins and helping to remove them from your system. This superfood is especially rich in iron, which plays an important role in detoxification.
- Strengthen the Immune System
Blue spirulina contains antioxidants which can help to boost our immune system and make us more resistant to illnesses.
- Promote Mental Cognition
- Increase Metabolism
Blue spirulina contains certain vitamins and minerals which help boost metabolism and aid in weight loss. This makes it an ideal supplement for people looking to shed some extra pounds.
Where to buy blue spirulina?
Most better grocery stores that have a health food section will carry blue spirulina. It can also be purchased online.
3 high-quality brands to try:
Organic Blue Spirulina Powder – 100% Pure Superfood
Good things to know about Lone Star Botanicals blue spirulina:
- A gorgeous electric blue color which adds nutrition and incredible color to your dishes
- Packed with nutrition
- USDA certified organic and pure
- Aids in weight loss efforts
- Highly rated on Amazon
1. KOS USDA Organic Blue Spirulina Powder
Good things to know about KOS Organic Blue Spirulina:
- Vegan Algae Superfood
- Natural Food Coloring for Smoothies & Protein Drinks
- Plant Based
- Non GMO
- 27 Servings
- Highly rated on Amazon
2. Microingredients Organic Blue Spirulina Powder
Good things to know about Microingredients Organic Blue Spirulina:
- Phycocyanin Extract
- No Fishy Smell
- 100% Vegan Protein from Blue-Green Algae
- Natural Luminous Blue Food Coloring
- for Smoothies, Baking, Drinks & Cooking
- 50 Servings
- Highly rated on Amazon
To learn how to make a delicious blue spirulina smoothie bowl, Mabel’s Labels shows you how here:
Concluding thoughts on blue spirulina, an incredible superfood
Whether or not you choose to add blue spirulina to your diet, one thing’s for sure-this superfood trend is here to stay!
Thanks to its impressive nutrient profile, blue spirulina offers a host of potential health benefits that are hard to ignore. If you’re looking for a natural way to boost your energy levels or support gut health, this algae may be worth trying out!
More from thewellthieone.com
The links used on thewellthieone.com are affiliate links, which may provide a small commission. This does not increase the price of the goods for the consumer whatsoever. What it does is ensure that useful content like this can continue to be produced. Thank-you for enjoying our content and allowing us to continue to provide more.