If you’re looking for a natural way to support your child’s immune system and general health, elderberry gummies are the perfect choice. Not only are these immune-support gummies easy to consume with their springy texture and delicious flavor, they also come packed with a range of health benefits and nutrients. In this blog post, we’ll outline the key benefits of elderberry gummies for immune system support. Not sure which elderberry gummies are best for your child? Read on to find out; we’ve picked the best three!
What is elderberry?
Elderberries, otherwise known as Sambucus nigra, are small, dark purple berries that grow in clusters. They have a tart and slightly sweet taste.
The elderberry plant can grow up to 10 feet tall and has green leaves and white flowers. The berries are used to make jams, jellies, wines, and syrups. Elderberry syrup made from the European elder tree has a long history of use against cold and flu symptoms as a natural remedy.
Elderberry Benefits for the Immune System
Elderberry is a powerful immune system support supplement.
- According to a study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, elderberry gummies help boost the immune system by increasing the production of cytokines, which are proteins that help fight off infections. The study found that taking elderberry extract reduced the duration of colds and flu symptoms by up to four days.
- Other studies have also shown that elderberry can help improve respiratory function and reduce inflammation. Elderberry is a rich source of antioxidants and vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and B6, all of which play a role in maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Vitamin C is especially important for immunity, as it helps white blood cells function properly and fight off infection.
- Elderberry is rich in antioxidants, which support the immune system.
- They are so effective at helping those who take them avoid colds and flu during the colder months that some say this is the only healthcare they need.
- Above any beyond immune system support, elderberry supports overall gastrointestinal health and helps with diarrhea symptoms.
What are the 3 best elderberry gummies to buy?
We’ve done the research so you don’t have to. We’ve picked 3 top rated, zinc added, pectin-based gummies with no un-natural anything.
1. Nature’s Way Sambucus Elderberry Gummies
Why we love Sambucus Elderberry Gummies For Kids
- Vitamin C and zinc added
- Premium, highly concentrated at 64X black elderberry extract
- Sweet and tart flavor that kids love
- No artificial colors
- Highly rated on Amazon
2. Zarbee’s Children’s Elderberry Immune Support Gummies
What we love about Zarbees Elderberry Gummies for Kids:
- Great source of Vitamins A, C, D, E and zinc
- Free of any artificial sweeteners
- Pediatrician recommended
- Highly rated on Amazon
3. Elderberry Gummies for Kids with Zinc & Vitamin C
Why we love Havasu Elderberry Gummies For Kids:
- Premium immunity support of Vitamin C and zinc
- Pectin based, no gelatin
- Domestically sourced ingredients
- Highly rated on Amazon
What to Consider when Choosing Elderberry Gummies for Kids
Parents want their children’s little immune systems to be healthy. If they are going to take a supplement, they want it to help protect them from the typical symptoms experienced in colder months. Elderberry gummies for kids are great for kids from age 2 years of age and up due to the possibility of choking for those under 2. Cut them up super tiny and they will be suitable for those under 2.
Even though high-quality ones with zinc may contain some natural sweeteners, we want to be mindful to not include unnecessary or un-natural ingredients like artificial sweeteners, corn syrup, or high fructose corn syrup. Consuming pure cane sugar instead of the possible chemical soup that the artificial varieties use is the better of the two.
Citric acid may sound natural and harmless, but we also don’t want this ingredient in our gummies because it is often made from a black mold commercially, not from citrus as the nomenclature suggests. Be sure to avoid artificial flavors, too. In general, it is a good rule to avoid these whenever possible.
We want real elderberry extract from black elderberries and all of their natural flavors embraced and inserted into each gummy. A bonus would be the addition of zinc to help the body absorb the nutrients within the elderberry extract. Personal preference will determine if you want one that is gelatin-free or not.
Look at the label to avoid added vegetable oil or dyes; these should not be in your supplements. Gummies can be vegan, but not all of them are.
Some are made with gelatin, which is extracted from the bones of animals. This gives them the chewy texture that we are so familiar with. That gummy texture can also be produced by using pectin, which is a fruit fiber. The label will clearly tell you which one they use. In our recommendations below, we chose gummies with pectin.
How many elderberry gummies should a child take?
That really depends on the child, how old they are, and how big they are. Generally speaking, you shouldn’t give a child more than they can handle, but in this case it’s different. You want to make sure that your child is getting the full benefits of the elderberry gummies, so you might want to give them more than the recommended dosage.
Just remember to always check with a doctor before giving your child any sort of supplement, especially if they’re taking other medication. At the same time, elderberry is a food, not a drug, so check the package recommendations. If your child consumes more, it likely won’t do anything alarming.
Elderberry gummies are a great way to support your child’s general wellness. You may even want to take a few yourself. Elderberry gummies are made just for kids and are easy to take. We wish you well on your continuing journey towards optimum health.
The links used on thewellthieone.com are affiliate links, which may provide a small commission. This does not increase the price of the goods for the consumer whatsoever. What it does is ensure that useful content like this can continue to be produced. Thank-you for enjoying our content and allowing us to continue to provide more.