Are you looking for a light and delicious way to liven up your next meal? If so, get ready to be amazed! This creamy, non-dairy tzatziki sauce is the perfect addition to any dish—it’s packed with flavors from Greece that will make your taste buds go wild. Consider this recipe your ticket to an explosion of flavor!
Whether you’re looking for something special to top off some pita chips, a tangy topping for grilled veggies, or a dressing for an amazing green basil salad, this tzatziki sauce has got you covered! Plus, since it’s made without dairy or animal products, everyone can enjoy it.
So, let’s dive right into this incredible Greek experience. Gather all of the ingredients listed below and get cooking! You won’t regret making this delicious vegan twist on tzatziki.
What is tzatziki sauce?
This refreshing dip is commonly served as an appetizer or side dish, but it can be enjoyed in many other ways too. Tzatziki sauce, for example, goes well in sandwiches and wraps, as well as as a topping for grilled meats like chicken or lamb.
Whether you want to spice up your meal with something unique or just need an accompaniment to your favorite Greek dish, tzatziki sauce is definitely worth trying!
Greek grandmothers regard their homemade tzatziki recipes as if the Greek culture depends on them!
Greek grandmothers take their tzatziki sauce recipes very seriously, almost as if it’s a family heirloom that’s been passed down through the generations.
Those from the old country continue to make homemade batches of this delectable tart yogurt dip, an ancient recipe and a valuable culinary contribution to the region that everyone takes pride in.
Most every Greek grandmother is fiercely protective of her own special mix of cucumber, dill, and garlic—a true reflection of their own unique taste and culture that has transcended time.
Inviting friends over for dinner means not only sharing wonderful stories but also preparing a plate full of dishes made with traditional tzatziki sauce—a bond between generations shared across the table.
What’s in tzatziki sauce?
Traditional tzatziki sauce is a flavorful, traditional Greek condiment made with yogurt and cucumbers. It has a creamy texture and is also seasoned with garlic, herbs, lemon juice, and sometimes dill.
For those sticking to a vegan, keto, or non-dairy diet, this tzatziki sauce recipe may just become your “go to” for a delicious dip, salad dressing, or sauce.
What does tzatziki sauce taste like?
Tzatziki sauce is a refreshing and flavorful Greek condiment. It has an incredibly smooth texture and boasts a delicious combination of cucumber, garlic, lemon juice, and yogurt.
Tangy yet mild due to the yogurt and lemon, tzatziki sauce can be used as a dip, marinade, or spread on popular Mediterranean dishes like gyros or kebabs.
It’s sure to leave your taste buds wanting more! We’ve found a great dairy substitute in tahini, so if you are vegan or avoiding inflammatory dairy, this is your recipe for a delicious and healthy tzatziki sauce that everybody can enjoy!
Is tzatziki sauce healthy?
Yes, especially when you substitute the yogurt or dairy component with tahini, which makes it vegan, dairy-free, and keto-friendly!
Tzatziki sauce is a delicious and tangy dipping sauce or spread that is commonly found in Greek restaurants but can easily be made at home. It typically consists of yogurt, cucumber, garlic, oil, vinegar, and herbs.
For those looking to make it with more health-friendly ingredients, tahini makes an excellent substitute for the yogurt component in traditional recipes.
Tahini is high in protein and healthy unsaturated fats while being low in sugar and carbohydrates, making it keto-friendly. Furthermore, it will make the tzatziki vegan and dairy-free!
So if you’re looking for a healthier version of this tasty treat, consider substituting the yogurt with tahini for an easy but delicious way to enjoy a healthier take on this classic Greek cuisine. Tahini makes all sorts of delicious and healthy dressings.
Vegan & Keto Friendly Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
How to make tzatziki sauce fit for almost every diet: This recipe is:
- keto friendly
- Whole 30 approved
- high protein
- full of antioxidants and nutrients
- just plain healthy!
To make the most delicious vegan, dairy-free, and keto-friendly tzatziki sauce without cutting any corners, gather the following ingredients:
Ingredients to make vegan, dairy-free, keto-friendly tzatziki sauce:
½ cup of tahini (sesame paste)
Whole lemon, cut in half if you have a lemon squeezer, cut in wedges to squeeze by hand
Half a peeled cucumber, diced
1 large clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of dried or fresh dill
Water (amount will vary depending on your consistency of choice)
Tahini can be found at many grocery stores, and it can be found easily online:
Organic Whole Sesame Tahini Paste, Pepperwood Organics
- Unhulled & Stone-Ground
- Silky Smooth Texture in Hummus, Dips, Dressings
- 11.6 oz Glass Jar (2-Pack)
- Highly rated on Amazon
Directions on how to make tzatziki sauce with tahini:
- Place the garlic clove in the food processor and chop into small pieces.
- Add the half cup of tahini and squeeze the juice of the full lemon into the food processor.
- Mix it up for about 30 seconds.
- The result will be quite thick.
- Peel half a cucumber and dice it.
- Add the diced half cucumber to the mixture and a tablespoon of water.
- Add dill
- Mix for 30 seconds.
- Evaluate the consistency of the sauce.
- Keep adding water bit by bit until it reaches the consistency desired.
- If you put too much water and the tzatziki sauce is too watery, add some tahini to bring back some thickness.
- Enjoy your healthy tzatziki sauce for a dip, pita bread, chips, veggies, meat or seafood!
Can you freeze tzatziki sauce?
Yes, you can freeze tzatziki sauce. Just make sure you have a good freezer container or bag that will protect it from the elements and prevent freezer burn.
Frozen tzatziki sauce should last for several months whether it is made with dairy or tahini.
When you’re ready to use it, thaw it in the fridge overnight and then give it a good stir before serving.
What to eat tzatziki sauce with? 8 scrumptious ways to enjoy it.
1. Tzatziki sauce is typically served as a dip or condiment, and goes well with a variety of dishes.
2. One of the most popular ways to enjoy tzatziki sauce is with pita bread. The sauce can be used as a dip for the bread, or spread on top of the bread like a condiment.
3. Tzatziki sauce also goes well with grilled meats such as chicken, lamb, or beef. The yogurt in the sauce helps to tenderize the meat, and the cucumber and garlic add a refreshing flavor.
4. Another popular way to enjoy tzatziki sauce is with vegetables. The sauce can be used as a dip for raw vegetables such as carrots and celery, or used as a topping for cooked vegetables such as roasted potatoes.
5. Tzatziki sauce can also be enjoyed with fried foods such as french fries or onion rings. The yogurt in the sauce helps to cut through the grease, and the cucumber and garlic add a refreshing flavor.
6. Tzatziki sauce can also be used as a sandwich spread or condiment. It goes well with both cold cuts and grilled meats, and can add a flavorful twist to your favorite sandwich recipe.
7. Finally, tzatziki sauce makes a great topping for salads. The yogurt in the sauce helps to bind the ingredients together, and the cucumber and garlic add a refreshing flavor.
We hope that you enjoy eating lots more tzatziki sauce, dressing and dip after bookmarking this recipe for whenever you need something to add zip and flavor to your meals!
More from the wellthieone.com
The links used on thewellthieone.com are affiliate links, which may provide a small commission. This does not increase the price of the goods for the consumer whatsoever. What it does is ensure that useful content like this can continue to be produced. Thank-you for enjoying our content and allowing us to continue to provide more.