Being a teen ostomate can mean living life differently, adapting to the unique challenges of a stoma while also navigating teenage years. The ability to attend school and be active without being inhibited by thoughts like “How do I prevent noise from my stoma or pouch?” or risk feeling embarrassed are all part of what makes living with an ostomy both inspiring and necessary for maintaining quality of life into adulthood.
Teen ostomates have a unique set of needs when it comes to stoma care. The adolescent years are often filled with physical activity and social engagements, both of which can be hindered by a traditional stoma guard. That’s where the value of a dual-function stoma guards come into play.
The only hybrid stoma guard and noise suppressor on the market is the Stoma Stifler, which has been giving teens more freedom with their ostomy for over ten years.
To understand how it works, refer to their website here:
Through the use of different stoma guards, stoma noise suppressors and hybrid products that both guard and suppress noise, teen ostomates have options with a discreet but powerful tool in protecting their stoma while reducing loud noises resulting from gas build-up inside pouches and appliances.
How a stoma guard and noise suppressor combined product can help teen ostomates stay silent & strong
For teens living with an ostomy, the need for stoma protection and ostomy noise suppressing is high. Hybrid products that are multifunctional can make all the difference in their quality of life.
These innovative products are designed to protect the stoma and help suppress noise. Also, odor control can be more viable if used within a hybrid model. This allows ostomates to feel more confident and in control.
When teens can go about their daily lives without worrying about the telltale noises associated with stoma function, they are able to focus on what really matters: being active, social, and engaged in their communities.
Stoma guards that provide noise suppression are a true game-changer for young people living with an ostomy, providing both physical and emotional support that can help them stay silent and strong.
Managing odor with a colostomy or ileostomy
There are several strategies and products that can help achieve this. Here’s how to use odor-controlling products effectively with a stoma:
1. Regular Emptying: One of the easiest ways to manage odor is by emptying the ostomy bag regularly, ideally when it’s about 1/3 or 1/2 full. Waiting until the pouch is completely full could lead to increased odor and potential leaks.
2. Odor Eliminator Drops & Deodorants:
Lubricating deodorant are dual-action products designed for both odor control and lubrication. They are particularly effective in managing odors associated with colostomy bags, providing an invaluable tool for ostomates.
Hollister M9 Odor Eliminator Drops are a popular product used by individuals with ostomies to control unpleasant odors. These drops are often added to the ostomy pouch each time it is emptied and can effectively neutralize odors.
The M9 Odor Eliminator Drops are known for their effectiveness and ease of use. They do not simply mask odors but neutralize them, providing users with confidence and peace of mind when out in public or in social situations.
ConvaTec ESENTA Lubricating Deodorant can be added directly into the drainable ostomy pouch after emptying it.
These deodorants work by stopping odors and coating the pouch, which can help prevent stool buildup around the stoma that could compromise the seal of the bag.
This dual-action approach is not only beneficial for odor control but also enhances the overall functionality of a hybrid stoma guard and noise suppressor, such as the Stoma Stifler mentioned above.
Moreover, the application of this product is quite simple – it’s a spray. The easy-to-use lubricating spray coats the pouch, helping to stop odors before they even start. This convenience of use makes it a practical solution for adolescents and adults alike.
Please note that individual results may vary, and what works best for odor control may depend on factors such as diet, the type of ostomy, and personal body chemistry.
3. Super Absorbent Granules: Another product designed for odor control is SMELLEZE Ostomy Bag Smell Removal Deodorizer.
It consists of super absorbent granules that can be used in all types of ostomy pouches. The granules absorb moisture and neutralize odor. They also turn liquid waste into solid. To use, simply add the granules into the ostomy bag.
4. Diet Control: Your diet can significantly influence the odor of your stoma output.
Conversely, eating parsley, yogurt, and buttermilk can help reduce the smell.
5. Use of Filters: Using filters can be an effective first step in controlling ostomy odor. These filters allow gas to escape from the pouch, reducing ballooning, and they contain charcoal to neutralize any odors.
6. Cleaning & Hygiene: Keeping the stoma and surrounding skin clean can also help manage odors. Products like Hollister’s m9 Cleaner/Decrystallizer can be used to clean urinary drainage systems while also eliminating odor.
Remember, what works best will depend on your individual circumstances. It may take some trial and error to find the most effective combination of products and strategies for you.
How teen ostomates can protect themselves from outside stoma pressure, bumps, and noise
Teens with ostomies face unique challenges in managing their stomas, particularly when it comes to protecting against outside pressure, bumps, and noise. Here are some strategies based on the information I found:
- Use of Stoma Guards: Hybrid stoma guards like the stoma stifler can provide robust protection against outside pressure and bumps. They’re designed to be comfortably flexible, allowing for active lifestyles while still offering strong protection.
- Skin Care around the Stoma: It’s important to keep the skin around the stoma clean and healthy. Apply a skin sealant to prevent further skin damage and help with healing. Avoid using ostomy powder or skin prep wipes for more than a few days as they can lead to skin irritation.
- Proper Application of the Pouching System: The baseplate of your pouching system should be applied to clean and dry skin for optimal adhesion. This can help prevent leaks and skin irritation.
- Wear Support Garments: There are support garments and ostomy wraps available that can offer additional protection during physical activities.
- Manage Ostomy Noise: Using noise-reducing devices like pouch covers can help to minimize the sounds made when moving around or emptying and changing your pouch.
Additionally, thicker clothing or layers can help reduce stoma noise, providing a level of discretion in social situations.
The Stoma Stifler is a hybrid stoma guard that offers hard protection against direct impact, such as those experienced during sports or other physical activities. This feature is crucial for teen ostomates who lead an active lifestyle and need to protect their stoma from any potential damage.
In addition to its protective function, the Stoma Stifler also acts as a noise suppressor, a feature that can significantly improve the quality of life for teens.
It is designed for single-handed application and removal, offering users an easy-to-use solution that doesn’t compromise their lifestyle.
Its anchor plate can be affixed to either skin or to an ostomy/hernia belt, making it highly versatile. This ease of use and flexibility is particularly beneficial for teens, who may be managing their stoma care independently for the first time.
Concluding thoughts on hybrid ostomy gear and supplies
It is essential for individuals with stomas and ostomies to be mindful of their bodies, protect their stomas from pressure and bumps, and ensure good noise suppression.
Though this can be challenging, it’s possible with the right products.
Different hybrids provide different levels of protection, so it’s critical to select the right product for your own personal needs – one that fits in comfortably with a daily routine. With this, you can confidently go about living life without any worries or external distractions.
The links used on thewellthieone.com are affiliate links, which may provide a small commission. This does not increase the price of the goods for the consumer whatsoever. What it does is ensure that useful content like this can continue to be produced. Thank-you for enjoying our content and allowing us to continue to provide more.