Navigating life with an ostomy can present unique challenges, one of which is managing stoma noise. This often overlooked aspect of ostomy care can cause discomfort and uncomfortable situations, particularly for men who value their privacy.
This article is here to shed light on this sensitive topic. We’ll explore the power of sound reducers and how they can significantly minimize stoma noise, thereby enhancing the quality of life for men living with an ostomy.
Prepare to dive into a world where innovation meets practicality, creating a golden silence that brings comfort and confidence back into your life.
4 needs of men when it comes to addressing ostomy protection
- Men typically have to contend with more body hair around the stoma site, which can interfere with the adhesion of ostomy appliances and potentially lead to leaks or skin irritation.
- Many men engage in physical activities or occupations that require heavy lifting or strenuous movement. This can put extra pressure on the stoma and cause damage if not properly protected.
- The clothing choices for men may also pose challenges, as tighter fitting clothes can restrict the flow of output from the stoma and lead to uncomfortable bloating or even blockages.
- Men often face psychological and emotional challenges related to their body image post-surgery.
Through the use of different stoma guards, stoma noise suppressors and hybrid products that both guard and suppress noise, teen ostomates have options with a discreet but powerful tool in protecting their stoma while reducing loud noises resulting from gas build-up inside pouches and appliances.
Choosing the right stoma guard for you
When it comes to stoma guard, particularly in terms of reducing noise and providing protection, there are numerous products made from a variety of materials that can make a significant difference.
Stoma guards, for instance, are commonly used to shield the stoma from impact. These are often incorporated into ostomy belts and can be particularly useful for those who:
- engage in sports
- work around machinery
- need to protect themselves from pets who show too much affection
- excited grandchildren
- countertops and more.
3 best stoma guard options for men
Navigating the world of ostomy care can be daunting, especially when it comes to finding the perfect stoma guard. But worry not, because we’ve done the legwork for you.
In this section, we have distilled the myriad of choices down to the top three contenders that offer both comfort and protection. Our selections are based on a variety of factors, including user reviews, product features, and overall value.
So buckle up as we unveil these top-notch stoma guards that promise to make your life easier and more comfortable as we reveal the top 3, in no particular order, and give you the important details you need in making a choice.
- Stealth Belt Stoma Guard Option
A product like the Stealth Belt’s Stoma Guard, for example, incorporates a protective piece of plastic sewn into a neoprene insert.
The stoma guard is an option. This is an additional piece that is purchased as an add on to the product.
- The StomaDome is a reusable hard plastic product with disposable liners that need to be changed on an regular basis. It is an easily removable, practical stoma guard that works well on all ostomy appliances.
- StomaDome – Stoma Guard Security Shield with 52 Replacement Crescents
- 7.2 grams Inconspicuous low-profile design
- Protects against every day activities, seat belts and more
- Super strong injection molded polypropylene
- 3.625″ wide 0.625″ deep
- The Stoma Stifler features an engineered cup designed to suppress noise as well as provide stoma protection, which is an exceptionally practical because stoma noise is something that many want to reduce, but do not want to wear something extra for that purpose.
Incorporating noise suppression into a stoma guard is a welcomed combination.
- The Stoma Stifler is the only stoma guard that is a dual bonified noise suppressor and ostomy stoma guard in one. It is a hybrid product, reducing the amount of items an ostomate needs to wear to get the desired effect.
- It is made of a softer and flexible, yet very robust polyurethane highly dense foam. It’s design is sleek and contoured to the body.
- There is a 2 piece design that allows it to be taken off and put on easily, without undressing, which is nice, because sometimes the intent isn’t to have to wear a stoma guard all day.
BONUS if ostomy noise from the pouch is an issue:
In terms of noise reduction, the QuietWear Pouch from Hollister incorporates a cloth-like material that helps minimize pouch noise.
This is a fabric that Hollister uses for many or all of their pouch systems. Check to see that the one you require uses the Quiet Wear technology.
It is important to note that while these products can enhance comfort and confidence, each individual’s needs may vary, so it’s always recommended to consult healthcare professionals when choosing ostomy supplies
Managing odor with a colostomy or ileostomy
There are several strategies and products that can help achieve this. Here’s how to use odor-controlling products effectively with a stoma:
1. Regular Emptying: One of the easiest ways to manage odor is by emptying the ostomy bag regularly, ideally when it’s about 1/3 or 1/2 full. Waiting until the pouch is completely full could lead to increased odor and potential leaks.
2. Odor Eliminator Drops & Deodorants:
Lubricating deodorant are dual-action products designed for both odor control and lubrication. They are particularly effective in managing odors associated with colostomy bags, providing an invaluable tool for ostomates.
Hollister M9 Odor Eliminator Drops are a popular product used by individuals with ostomies to control unpleasant odors. These drops are often added to the ostomy pouch each time it is emptied and can effectively neutralize odors.
The M9 Odor Eliminator Drops are known for their effectiveness and ease of use. They do not simply mask odors but neutralize them, providing users with confidence and peace of mind when out in public or in social situations.
ConvaTec ESENTA Lubricating Deodorant can be added directly into the drainable ostomy pouch after emptying it.
These deodorants work by stopping odors and coating the pouch, which can help prevent stool buildup around the stoma that could compromise the seal of the bag.
This dual-action approach is not only beneficial for odor control but also enhances the overall functionality of a hybrid stoma guard and noise suppressor like the Stoma Stifler mentioned above, or a regular stoma guard.
Moreover, the application of this product is quite simple – it’s a spray. The easy-to-use lubricating spray coats the pouch, helping to stop odors before they even start. This convenience of use makes it a practical solution for adolescents and adults alike.
Please note that individual results may vary, and what works best for odor control may depend on factors such as diet, the type of ostomy, and personal body chemistry.
- Super Absorbent Granules
Another product designed for odor control is SMELLEZE Ostomy Bag Smell Removal Deodorizer.
It consists of super absorbent granules that can be used in all types of ostomy pouches. The granules absorb moisture and neutralize odor. They also turn liquid waste into solid. To use, simply add the granules into the ostomy bag.
4. Diet Control: Your diet can significantly influence the odor of your stoma output.
Conversely, eating parsley, yogurt, and buttermilk can help reduce the smell.
5. Use of Filters: Using filters can be an effective first step in controlling ostomy odor. These filters allow gas to escape from the pouch, reducing ballooning, and they contain charcoal to neutralize any odors.
6. Cleaning & Hygiene: Keeping the stoma and surrounding skin clean can also help manage odors. Products like Hollister’s m9 Cleaner/Decrystallizer can be used to clean urinary drainage systems while also eliminating odor.
Remember, what works best will depend on your individual circumstances. It may take some trial and error to find the most effective combination of products and strategies for you.
How teen ostomates can protect themselves from outside stoma pressure, bumps, and noise
Teens with ostomies face unique challenges in managing their stomas, particularly when it comes to protecting against outside pressure, bumps, and noise. Here are some strategies based on the information I found:
- Use of Stoma Guards: Hybrid stoma guards like the stoma stifler can provide robust protection against outside pressure and bumps. They’re designed to be comfortably flexible, allowing for active lifestyles while still offering strong protection.
- Skin Care around the Stoma: It’s important to keep the skin around the stoma clean and healthy. Apply a skin sealant to prevent further skin damage and help with healing. Avoid using ostomy powder or skin prep wipes for more than a few days as they can lead to skin irritation.
- Proper Application of the Pouching System: The baseplate of your pouching system should be applied to clean and dry skin for optimal adhesion. This can help prevent leaks and skin irritation.
- Wear Support Garments: There are support garments and ostomy wraps available that can offer additional protection during physical activities.
- Manage Ostomy Noise: Using noise-reducing devices like pouch covers can help to minimize the sounds made when moving around or emptying and changing your pouch.
Additionally, thicker clothing or layers can help reduce stoma noise, providing a level of discretion in social situations.
The Stoma Stifler is a hybrid stoma guard that offers hard protection against direct impact, such as those experienced during sports or other physical activities. This feature is crucial for teen ostomates who lead an active lifestyle and need to protect their stoma from any potential damage.
In addition to its protective function, the Stoma Stifler also acts as a noise suppressor, a feature that can significantly improve the quality of life for teens.
It is designed for single-handed application and removal, offering users an easy-to-use solution that doesn’t compromise their lifestyle.
Its anchor plate can be affixed to either skin or to an ostomy/hernia belt, making it highly versatile. This ease of use and flexibility is particularly beneficial for teens, who may be managing their stoma care independently for the first time.
Concluding thoughts on hybrid ostomy gear and supplies
It is essential for individuals with stomas and ostomies to be mindful of their bodies, protect their stomas from pressure and bumps, and ensure good noise suppression.
Though this can be challenging, it’s possible with the right products.
Different hybrids provide different levels of protection, so it’s critical to select the right product for your own personal needs – one that fits in comfortably with a daily routine. With this, you can confidently go about living life without any worries or external distractions.
Sources and additional reading and studies
- A study from SciELO highlighted the lack of information available to patients about the benefits of stoma protectors, indicating a need for increased awareness and education.
- A study published in the British Journal of Nursing evaluated the effectiveness of a one-piece soft convex ostomy appliance in preventing leakage and protecting peristomal skin.
- The importance of choosing the correct accessory for each stoma type was emphasized in another article from the British Journal of Nursing, where the use of stoma shields for additional protection was discussed.
- An article in ScienceDirect indicated that more clinical studies are needed to ensure the safety and efficacy of ostomy products.
In summary, our research has shown that stoma guards play a crucial role in ostomy care by providing physical protection, reducing discomfort, and enhancing the user’s quality of life. However, more research and better patient education are needed to maximize their benefits.
The links used on thewellthieone.com are affiliate links, which may provide a small commission. This does not increase the price of the goods for the consumer whatsoever. What it does is ensure that useful content like this can continue to be produced. Thank-you for enjoying our content and allowing us to continue to provide more.