Understanding Vestibular Disease in Cats
You may be wondering if vestibular disease in cats can actually kill them. The answer is no—but it can be dangerous and cause a great deal of discomfort for your beloved pet. It’s important to understand what vestibular disease is, what the symptoms are, how cats develop it, and how it can be treated. Let’s take a closer look at this condition.
What is Vestibular Disease in Cats?
Vestibular disease in cats is a disorder of the central nervous system that affects balance, coordination, and vision. This can cause the cat to have trouble walking or even standing due to dizziness and vertigo-like symptoms. It usually starts with sudden head tilt and rapid eye movements that make it difficult to focus on objects or keep an upright position.
What are the symptoms of a cat with vestibular disease ?
The most common symptom of vestibular disease in cats is a head tilt combined with rapid eye movements or nystagmus.
Other symptoms include:
- loss of appetite
- difficulty standing or walking
- hearing loss.
- Cats with vestibular disease may also show signs of confusion and disorientation.
How Does a Cat Develop Vestibular Disease?
The exact cause of vestibular disease in cats is not known but there are several potential contributing factors including:
- age-related degenerative changes
- trauma to the head or neck area
- infections such as feline infectious peritonitis (FIP)
- hormonal imbalances (such as low thyroid hormone levels),
- certain medications
- In some cases, no underlying cause can be determined.
What Can I Do to Help My Cat Recover?
There is no cure for vestibular disease in cats but there are treatments available that can help manage symptoms and speed up recovery time.
Your veterinarian may prescribe anti-nausea medications as well as antibiotics if an infection is present. It is important to use pharmaceutical antibiotics sparingly. They kill the whole microbiome of good and bad bacteria in the gut and it never recovers quite the same afterwards. Continuous use of antibiotics over the years contributes to a weaker gut and immune system.
If your cat has an infection and you are open to trying a natural antibiotic, you may never use a pharmaceutical antibiotic again!
GoldenPaw Herbal Pet Supplement for Cat
Good things to know about Natural Antibiotic for cats and pets:
- Comprehensive support
- Strong immunity resistance
- organic product that will help your pet to be healthy and feel great with the power of nature and a balanced composition.
- Pharmaceutical antibiotics are not idea for your pet, aren’t they tired of them?
- Time to try a natural alternative antibiotic with no negative side effects.
- Improved formula
- No artificial additives
- Formula Includes Cranberry, Garlic, Clove, Oregano – in liquid form.
- Powerful composition helps pets with the most common problems: acute and chronic problems, kennel cough, allergy, uti and others.
- For every pet, all breeds and sizes
- Developed by the scientists, who ensure the digestibility for every cat or dog
- The liquid quickly enters the circulation and has a supportive effect.
- Grown, harvested, processed and manufactured exclusively in the USA
- Ecologically Pure
- Cruelty Free
- Highly rated on Amazon
How can hemp oil help a cat recover from vestibular disease?
Hemp oil can help a cat recover from vestibular disease by reducing inflammation and promoting nerve function.
Hemp oil is a natural, anti-inflammatory oil that can be used to help reduce inflammation throughout the body. It’s also high in omega fatty acids, which are essential for healthy nerve function. So using hemp oil may help improve communication between the brain and the body, promoting a quicker recovery from vestibular disease.
Many cat owners who want to avoid pharmaceuticals for their sweet kitty try hemp oil first. It can do wonders and it is all natural with no liver toxifying chemicals or side effects.
Buster’s Organic Hemp Oil Large 60 Milliliters 2-Pack for Dogs & Cats
Good things to know about this hemp oil to use for vestibular disease in cats:
- 4 Month Supply 2-Pack
- Superior 60x potency
- Pure, powerful, maximum potency
- Organically grown hemp oil for cats and dogs
- Advanced extraction for optimal nutrient retention, absorption and uptake.
- 100% Vegan
- Gluten free with zero additives, fillers or yuck.
- 30 servings of pure, premium 1,000 mg pet hemp oil.
- Happy transformations – curious? Check out the verified reviews and discover why these calming drops for dogs are quickly becoming the only choice for pet parents who take their pets health seriously.
- No other hemp treats hold a candle to supporting relief from joint pain, anxiety, arthritis, chronic inflammation, allergies, nervous chewing and more.
- Buster uses k2xlabs proven process – safety meets results: we leverage only proven, advanced cold extraction methods, meticulously testing for safety, purity, potency & effect, then send only the best; ensuring your pet receives the optimal omega-9,6 and 3 balance, flavonoids, vitamins a and d, phytochemicals, and arthritis mitigating properties others filter away.
- Return their love – our pets give us so much we can never repay! If you feel responsible for supporting your pet’s health, you’ll love how we’ve kept busters affordable, making it the easy, quick, natural way to promote happy mood & balanced energy for less than a dollar a day. 3Rd party lab tested; exceeds the highest standards.
- Big toothy grin 100% satisfaction – delicious, nutritious & awesome. You care about your pet’s health enough to find a solution, don’t settle for second best. Click add to cart now and decide this is the best hemp oil for your pet.
Physical therapy may also be recommended to help strengthen your cat’s muscles and improve their balance and coordination over time.
In the meantime, giving your cat your own physical therapy support by placing her in a supportive brace to go outside with you could really cheer her up, or not!
It depends on the cat. Something like this could really help the cat not loose confidence as she can still use her legs without falling so much, avoiding further injury.
Coodeo Dog Lift Harness, Pet Support & Rehabilitation Sling Lift Adjustable
Contact the manufacturer to confirm that they have a harness that will fit your kitty.
Good things to know about this support harness for vestibular disease:
- Helps rejuvenate old or disable dogs and cats by supporting and stabilizing them.
- For when they are losing balance with joint injuries, Arthritis, rheumatism in the daily life.
- High quality, breathable and soft material makes your cat comfortable and can be worn for a long period of time.
- The belt is detachable and the length can be adjusted to suit people of different heights.
- Padded breathable straps for old, disabled, joint injuries, arthritis, loss of stability dogs walk
- User friendly-does not affect normal excretion, and assists the cat going up and down stairs without slipping out.
- Washable- Easy to clean. Please wash by hand with cold water and dry naturally.
- 100% customer satisfaction
- Highly rated on Amazon
Feed your cat from an elevated surface
Additionally, feeding your cat soft food from an elevated surface may help reduce nausea caused by vertigo symptoms while eating regular meals will ensure they get enough nutrition for optimal recovery.
Concluding thoughts on vestibular disease in cats
Although vestibular disease cannot kill a cat directly, the symptoms can still cause severe discomfort for your pet if left untreated so it’s best to seek veterinary care should you suspect your cat has developed this condition.
With proper treatment from your vet combined with plenty of love and care from you at home – your furry friend should be able to make a full recovery!
Do not feel like you need to try every prescription your vet recommends. There are natural solutions that work well and are much less harmful to your beloved kitty, so don’t be afraid to try them!
More from thewellthieone.com
The links used on thewellthieone.com are affiliate links, which may provide a small commission. This does not increase the price of the goods for the consumer whatsoever. What it does is ensure that useful content like this can continue to be produced. Thank-you for enjoying our content and allowing us to continue to provide more.