The inspiration for this article comes from a big city marathoner named Dan. His passion for running was unmatched, and his spirit, unbroken. Life threw a curveball at him when he had to undergo stoma surgery, though he looked at this event as a blessing, as it was evident that his stoma saved his life.
Despite Dan’s optimistic attitude and outlook, at first he feared losing his active lifestyle and the joy that running gave him. His determination to run again led him to discover a game-changing, simple ostomy product – the stoma guard.
Living with a stoma can indeed be a unique challenge, but it’s far from being a full stop on your active life.
With the right precautions, equipment, and a positive mindset, you can continue to embrace all the activities that fill your heart with joy.
Whether it’s playing your favorite sport, traveling to exotic locations, playing with your children, grandchildren or pets or simply enjoying a day out in the sun, a stoma doesn’t have to limit you.
What is a stoma?
A stoma might sound complex, but let’s simplify it. Picture a small, rosebud-like opening on the abdomen – that’s what a stoma looks like. It’s created during a surgical procedure to reroute the body’s waste system.
This new waste route in the body could be from the intestine or bladder, allowing waste to exit the body safely and hygienically.
The people who live with a stoma are often referred to as ‘ostomates.’ With the help of a stoma guard, they continue to lead a fulfilling and active lives, refusing to let their stoma define them.
Why use a stoma guard?
A stoma guard is a device that helps to protect your stoma from injury. It can also help to reduce noise and odor, and make it easier to wear tight-fitting clothing.
Choose the right stoma guard. There are different stoma guards available made from ridged plastics, metals and more flexible high density foam materials, so it’s important to choose one that is right for you.
Consider the type of activities you plan to do, as well as your personal preferences.
Different Stoma Guard Options, Pros & Cons and The Editor’s Choice
Stoma guards are essential for ostomates, as they help protect the stoma from external impact and allow for greater comfort and ease of movement.
Here are 3 of our choices highlighting the positive aspects and drawbacks different types of stoma guards, and the editor’s choice:
1. Stoma Dome
- The Stoma Dome is known for its robust design that offers excellent protection against impacts.
- Strong, injection molded plastic
- 7.2 grams Inconspicuous low-profile design
- Protects against every day activities, seat belts and more
- 3.625″ wide 0.625″ deep
Drawback: Some users have reported that the Stoma Dome can be somewhat bulky and uncomfortable when sitting down.
- Must keep buying refills of these inner crescents for the product to function properly.
2. StomaDome Replacement Crescents
3. Ovand Stoma Guard
- The Ovand Stoma Guard stands out for its lightweight design, making it comfortable to wear throughout the day.
- Adjustable, fits all ostomy pouches
- Wear with an ostomy belt or not
- Drawback: Despite its comfort, some users have noted that this stoma guard does not offer as much protection as other stoma guards, particularly for those engaged in strenuous activities.
The best for a well-rounded stoma guard with noise suppression capability for an array of activities
- The Stoma Stifler is a high-quality stoma guard that is designed to protect your stoma from injury and reduce noise.
- It is the only stoma guard on the market made of a soft, flexible material that is comfortable to wear, as opposed to hard materials that do not flex.
- It comes in one size, designed to fit over all pouch systems, one and two-piece.
- Robust, engineered aerodynamic protection and flexibility for sports and exercise
- One time buy, no refills of anything to buy after initial purchase
Drawback: Price than most other guards
Check Price at www.Stomastifler.com
Concluding thoughts on using a stoma guard to improve an ostomate’s quality of life
Safe guarding the health and integrity of your stoma is a critical aspect of living comfortably with an ostomy.
Being conscious of your environment and avoiding potentially risky situations can significantly reduce the chances of accidental trauma to your stoma.
Maintaining good stoma hygiene and adhering to your doctor’s advice regarding appliance management are fundamental to preventing complications.
Investing in a quality stoma guard can provide an added layer of protection, especially when engaging in activities like swimming. Ultimately, taking these steps can help ensure your stoma stays healthy and you continue to enjoy a high quality of life.
If you’re an ostomate who is looking for ways to live an active life, talk to your doctor about a stoma guard. There are many different stoma guards available, so you’re sure to find one that is right for you.
The links used on thewellthieone.com are affiliate links, which may provide a small commission. This does not increase the price of the goods for the consumer whatsoever. What it does is ensure that useful content like this can continue to be produced. Thank-you for enjoying our content and allowing us to continue to provide more.