Let’s face it, nobody likes a smelly dog. But sometimes, even the most diligent dog owner can’t seem to avoid that doggy smell. That’s where dry shampoo, also known as waterless shampoo, for dogs comes in.
I learned this lesson the hard way when my dog, Chewy, got sprayed by a skunk on one of our nightly walks. After hours of trying to rid him of the smell, I finally gave up and resigned myself to the fact that Chewy was going to be stinky for the next few days.
But then, a friend recommended using dry shampoo for dogs. I had never heard of it before, but I was willing to try anything to get rid of the skunk smell.
To my surprise, the dry shampoo worked like a charm! It absorbed the oils and odors from Chewy’s fur, leaving him smelling fresh and clean.
Since then, I’ve become a big fan of dry shampoo for dogs. It’s perfect for times when a full bath isn’t possible, such as when you’re on the go or your dog has a minor skin condition. Plus, it can be a real lifesaver when your dog gets into something smelly, like Chewy did with the skunk.
This simple type of product can fluff up your dog’s coat and remove any excess oily residues, giving them a clean scent without all the fuss of a traditional bath.
Plus, dry shampoo is great for those times when your dog has gotten a little bit dirty but doesn’t really need a full-blown bath. If you’re looking for an easy way to keep your dog smelling fresh and clean, dry shampoo is a must-have.
How to use dry dog shampoo
Waterless dog shampoo, otherwise known as dog dry shampoo, is convenient because you just apply it, and rub it in. The product will detangle fur, be kind to their skin, and freshen him up for another day or so.
- Use a brush on your dog to remove any loose dirt.
- Apply the powder, foam, or spritz waterless shampoo to your dog’s body,
but not his face. Rub the product into the fur and on the skin. Wait for a few moments.
- Don’t let your dog lick its coat at this point if possible.
- Brush to remove the product and fluff up the coat
- Towel him off to remove any excess product.
- Focus on the face next. Place some of the product in your hand and rub it in with your fingers into the smaller areas of your head. Be sure to avoid your eyes and the areas around your eyes, ears, and mouth.
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes before gently wiping the product off his head.
EHow Pets discusses waterless dog shampoo and how to use it.
What to look for in a quality, natural dry shampoo for dogs?
7 things to look for in a quality, natural dry shampoo for dogs-
- Natural Ingredients
Look for a dry shampoo that contains natural ingredients such as oatmeal, aloe vera, coconut oil, and essential oils. These ingredients will help soothe your dog’s skin while keeping it hydrated.
Avoid dry shampoos that contain harsh chemicals such as parabens, sulfates, and phthalates. These chemicals can cause irritation and dryness to your dog’s skin.
- No Harsh Chemicals
Look for a dry shampoo that is pH-balanced for your dog’s skin. This will help maintain the natural acidity of your dog’s skin and prevent dryness and irritation.
- Easy Application
Choose a dry shampoo that is easy to apply onto your dog’s fur. A spray or powder formula can be more convenient to use than a liquid shampoo.
- Good Scent
Pick a dry shampoo that has a good scent that you and your dog enjoy. Essential oils such as lavender, chamomile, and peppermint can help calm your dog and provide a pleasant aroma.
- Safe for Puppies
If you have a puppy, make sure the dry shampoo is safe for use on puppies and does not contain any ingredients that could be harmful to their delicate skin.
- Brand Reputation
Lastly, choose a dry shampoo from a reputable brand that specializes in pet care products.
Research the brand’s background, customer reviews, and ingredient sourcing to ensure the product you’re buying is high-quality and safe for your beloved pet.
What do dogs think about dry dog shampoo baths?
While we might think that dogs would be displeased with a dry dog shampoo bath, they actually seem to enjoy the process. In fact, many dogs seem to revel in the attention and affection they receive during grooming time, regardless of whether it involves water or not.
And if we could ask them what they thought about dry dog shampoo specifically, we’re pretty sure they’d say, “Hey, as long as I’m getting cuddles and treats, you can rub all the strange-smelling stuff you want into my fur!
What are the 3 high quality dry dog shampoos to try?
We did the extensive research so you don’t have to. We chose the best dry dog shampoo based on:
- natural ingredients
- purity, effectiveness
- positive reviews
1. Honest Paws Dog Shampoo
What we love about Honest Paws Skin and Coat Dry Shampoo
- Easily clean your dog without water
- No rinse formula
- Cleanse, hydrate and nourish the skin
- Reduces itching
- Decreases odor, shedding, allergies
- Calming lavender and oatmeal scent
- No dyes, parabens or anything synthetic
- Made in the USA
- Safe for dogs and cats
- Over 2900 reviews with 4.5 stars on Amazon
2. Paw Choice Dry Shampoo for Dogs
- Waterless Dog Shampoo
- No Rinse Foam Mousse
- Removes Odor
- Cleans, and Conditions
- Hypoallergenic & Natural Dry Dog Shampoo
- Made in USA
- Mango Pomegranate Scent
3. Mighty Mutt Hypoallergenic Waterless Shampoo for Dogs
What we love about Mighty Mutt Waterless Foam Shampoo
- All natural
- Only 4 ingredients, free of chemicals and toxins
- No rinse
- Made in the USA
- Cleans effectively and leaves coat soft
- Highly rated on Amazon
Concluding thoughts on using dry dog shampoo on your furry friend
Using dry shampoo on your furry friend can be a convenient and effective way to keep your dog clean and smelling fresh. When choosing a dry shampoo, it’s important to look for natural ingredients, avoid harsh chemicals, and ensure that the product is pH-balanced and easy to apply.
By using a high-quality dry shampoo, you can help maintain your dog’s skin health and hygiene, while also reducing the frequency of traditional baths.
Remember to consult with your veterinarian before introducing any new grooming products to your pet’s routine and to closely monitor their reaction to the product.
With the right product and care, your dog can enjoy the benefits of a clean coat without the stress of a traditional bath.
Sources and additional reading
1.”The Science Behind Dry Dog Shampoo” by Dr. Karen Becker: https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2020/09/20/dry-dog-shampoo.aspx
- “Dry Dog Shampoo: What Is It and How Does It Work?” by PetMD: https://www.petmd.com/dog/grooming/dry-dog-shampoo-what-it-and-how-does-it-work
- “Why You Should Use a pH Balanced Dog Shampoo” by The Honest Kitchen: https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/blog/why-you-should-use-a-ph-balanced-dog-shampoo/
- “Dry Shampoo for Dogs: What Vets Need to Know” by the Canadian Veterinary Journal: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7346145/
- “What Do Dogs Think of Dry Shampoo?” by Rover: https://www.rover.com/blog/dogs-dry-shampoo/
The links used on thewellthieone.com are affiliate links, which may provide a small commission. This does not increase the price of the goods for the consumer whatsoever. What it does is ensure that useful content like this can continue to be produced. Thank-you for enjoying our content and allowing us to continue to provide more.